Our Sustainable Practices
The Myers family have been good stewards of the land in the Swan Creek area of Yadkin County for 10-generations. We are committed to producing the highest quality estate wines without compromise. Through our commitment to a sustainable winery and farming operations, we are protecting our land and environment for future generations. This is not only where we work, it’s our home and we hope you enjoy the fruits of our labor and commitments as much as we do.
Here are some of Laurel Gray’s sustainable practices:
- Mulch wood cuttings back into the vineyard floor adding nutrient rich organic material.
- Manage vineyard pests and disease with as much natural and organic practices as possible. We spend a lot of time and resources on manual labor managing sunlight and air movement throughout the vine canopy and fruit zone.
- We compost our grape skins and seeds along with other organic material, which is then recycled as potting soils, garden additives, and plant nutrients.
- Located in the middle of the vineyards there is a spring fed pond which is stocked with fish. This provides a fresh, clean ecosystem where we monitor the health of our farm environment.
- All glass products at Laurel Gray are sent to a recycling faculty.
- Our well water is tested quarterly to assure naturally pure and safe drinking water.
- Our parking lot and drives are graveled and not paved. This allows rainwater to seep into the ground naturally without excess runoff.
- In the tasting room we use only 100% recycled paper products for wine packaging.
- During the summer months, Purple Martin birds flock to our farm pond just prior to sunset. They are natural predators of mosquitos, flies, Japanese beetles and other insects that damage our grapes.
- We place netting over our vines when grapes are ripening. This provides a safe and quiet means of control against deer and birds.
- Yearly we hire a soil scientist to extract soil samples from multiple areas of the farm. These samples are tested to assure all nutrients, soil pH, and micronutrients are balanced and correct as needed.
Don't miss out on fun or wine!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and promotions and get 10% off your next order.